Saturday, September 28, 2013

Not Home Long

Well, we weren't home long this first time! We came home Tuesday and he was readmitted Friday when we were back at Ochsner for a checkup. The three problems Danny has are blood too thin, BP too high, and too much fluid.

He's having a heck of a fun time telling everyone here how I punched him in the face, giving him a bloody eye!! It is good to know that the blood vessel popped probably because his blood was too thin, and not because I bonked his head too hard. I don't even remember hitting him and an area on his head is sore enough I think he also has a bruise!! That night while deciding how to decorate his dressing, Danny came up with a creative idea in honor of his new look...

clue: look at the eyes... 


He also has us playing games with the bruises all over his body. Instead of looking for shapes in the clouds, we are looking for shapes in the bruises! Pretend you're Danny and guess what this bruise is!?


Saturn's eye...I'm not sure if that's really a term or if D made it up(I never know whether he is teasing me or not), but I looked up a picture of Saturn and I do recognize the similar shape!

Then we played charades...guess whose shape he has with fluid (normally he's thin)?

~the Grinch!!!


The two full days at home were exhausting trying to get back in a routine with the kids and learn a new one with Danny. It's weird how much more draining emotional stuff can be than physical. In those two days the house was wrecked because I didn't have the energy to pick up. I had decided that this weekend was the time to deal with the mess and then I could relax for real!!!! When Danny was admitted again Friday, I realized that there was no way I was going to be in New Orleans again and leave the house like that...so I drove home to pick up and grab a few things for the hospital and drove back again Friday night. A few friends helped me (thank you ladies!!) and I am so happy to know it's not a disaster anymore.

That experience has taught me a valuable experience. I will not allow the house to get out of control again and we will keep a suitcase packed with a few days of clothes in the car. We need to be prepared to be readmitted anytime we come to New Orleans for a checkup. Now that we're here, sleep has taken over. How crazy and awful is it to sort of be relieved to be back in the hospital so we have to rest because there is nothing else to do?! Danny tried to get up and do things while at home, but his body absolutely said NO after a bit...so he had no choice. But I have such a hard time stopping when there is stuff to do. Sometimes I feel in my spirit so loud and clear "be still" and I usually don't listen. I hate that about me. The truth is that when we listen and obey the Lord with things like resting even though we are busy or reading the Bible and praying even though we are busy, He will bless us by getting more done than we thought possible and by giving our bodies amazing rest and peace. So it's not that I don't know what the Bible says about this issue, it's that I just don't always do it...

"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at his himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing." James 1:22-25 
(Read all of James~it's not long, but full of greatness!)
 
 
Danny and I are experiencing something we've been told would happen at any other hospital Danny would be in...we have to train the nurses on how to care for an LVAD patient! The room Danny is currently in is not in the small unit designated for LVAD care because it's full...So we are down the hall with nurses who haven't either begun or completed LVAD training. It's been neat to watch Danny taking ownership of his new, power-supplied body and teaching others everything he knows.
 
 
That is 11 days worth of sterile dressing change supplies. Soon we are going to receive 2 months worth in the mail....I think we will need a bigger cabinet!

No comments:

Post a Comment